|“||I'm not fit to be called a detective. You really are my son. Your eyes... look just the same as mine... when I was young.||”|
—Masaoka's final words to his son
|June 27, 2058|
|5'9" (175 cm)|
|191 lbs (87 kg)|
|Public Safety Bureau (former)|
|Enforcer (former) |
|Nobuchika Ginoza (son) |
Sae Ginoza (ex-wife)
Akiho Ginoza (mother-in-law)
|0101 Crime Coefficient|
Masaoka has short spiky brown hair, brown eyes and a stocky build. He wears a dark brown suit like all the other Enforcers, but is often seen with a tan trenchcoat over it when he goes into the field. Masaoka also has a prosthetic left arm.
Masaoka is rather laid back in his approach to work and often accepts things as the way they are. Even in stressful situations, he tries to use reason above action and keeps a cool head. He also relies on the Dominator's rating of a suspect before making decisions about victims and criminals. It is revealed that prior to becoming an Enforcer, he used to share Tsunemori's views on how a detective should approach police work. He doesn't consider himself to be wise, but does like to give advice to the team members, including Ginoza.
Masaoka was born in Tachikawa, Tokyo.
He later marries Sae Ginoza, and at the age of twenty-six becomes father of Nobuchika Ginoza.
Prior to being an Enforcer, Masaoka was a detective of the Public Safety Bureau. When the Sibyl System is introduced, he disagrees with its use, as it forces detectives to rely on the absolute judgment of a machine without human consideration or insight. Over the time, he becomes more and more frustrated and angry, causing his Psycho-Pass to deteriorate which becomes the basis of his demotion to Enforcer.
Emergency Contact Information
Tokyo, Adachi-ku, Senju, Asahi 6-23c
Akiho Ginoza (relation: guardian)
March 2073 ‒ Graduates from Tachigawa Secondary School, Tokyo
April 2073 ‒ Enters Komai High School
March 2076 ‒ Graduates from Komai High School
April 2076 ‒ Enters Hitotsubashi University, Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
March 2080 ‒ Graduates from Hitotsubashi University, Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
April 2080 ‒ Stationed at Metropolitan Police Department
November 2080 ‒ Assigns to Detective Department
April 2091 ‒ Transfers to MWPSB after the Police System is cancelled
March 2093 ‒ Decommissions due to deteriorating Psycho-Pass; Enters Rehabilitation Center in Adachi district
August 2093 ‒ Leaves Rehabilitation Center
September 2093 ‒ Reassigns to MWPSB Division 3 as an Enforcer
May 2106 ‒ Transfers to Division 1
April 2076 ‒ Receives Driving License for Regular Motorcar Type I; Gets Driving License for Large-sized Motorcycle Type I
|“||Center on this pair of real father and son, Division 1 form a family-like atmosphere||”|
His son and Masaoka share a distorted leader-member, even also a father-son, relationship. However, they have a deep love for each other. And they did have happy times when Ginoza wasn't hurt by the insults as a "latent criminal's son."
Ginoza's determination to be an Inspector in high school is caused by his willingness to meet up with his father again. When Masaoka transfers to Division 1, his son avoids being too intimate with his father, and becomes often jealous about Masaoka's attention to Kogami.
Masaoka always cares about his son, and inadvertently calls him "Nobuchika" when talking to other detectives. He also gives advice to Ginoza at his request, for example when Ginoza wants to understand Tsunemori. He also worries about Ginoza who tends to attempt things beyond his own power. In the end, he even sacrifices his life to save his son.
Kogami is the best friend of Masaoka's son, Ginoza. When Kogami was an inspector of Division 3, Masaoka was his subordinate. Because of that he has spent a longer time working with Kogami than Ginoza. The two also share the common interest of martial arts. Masaoka even thinks of Kogami as one of his own because of what Kogami has done for Ginoza over the years and actively voices his concerns regarding the dangerous path the Enforcer follows.
When Kogami decides to leave the CID, he immediately goes to Masaoka. Masaoka gives him the key to his emergency safehouse, containing the equipment to build a traditional revolver and even a motorcycle in it.
- Masaoka's ID as an Enforcer is 00475-AECI-00247-2.
- His martial art of choice is Judo.
- He shares the emergency contact with his son.
- While his strength was endurance, his weakness were women's tears.
- One of Masaoka's hobbies is painting, another is drinking with friends. His masterpiece painting is a painting of his wife holding their newborn son.
- Masaoka's wish is to have a grandchild.
- His motto is "Do good deeds without expecting things in return."
- His favorite saying is "The warrior must keep his pride even if he dies of hunger."
- His favorite thing in his room is his bottle of 50 year-old Yamazaki whiskey.
- Masaoka's favorite food is chocolate, his least favorite Mozuku seaweed vinegar. Alcohol is his favorite drink.
- He drinks more alcohol after work than during holidays.
- After work he drinks three mugs of beer, highball or three to four glasses of shochu and soda water or Whiskey Rock, depending on his mood. If he could still take more, he would keep on downing Japanese sake.
- He spends his holidays slowly taking his favorite Straight Whiskey until the whole bottle runs out and then stops.
- He sleeps around four to five hours per day.
- His favorite authors are Arimasa Osawa, Hideo Yokoyama, Haruhiko Ooyabu, Joh Sasaki, Ranpo Edogawa, Seishi Yokomizo, Don Winslow, Ed McBain and Agatha Christie.
- His favorite book is Arimasa Osawa's Shinjuku Same. He has read it as a kid and the book has gotten him fascinated with the police career.
- He is designated as Hound 1.
- His Crime Coefficient is 127.4.
|Akane Tsunemori - Mika Shimotsuki - Kiyoka Tezuka|
|Shinya Kogami - Tomomi Masaoka - Nobuchika Ginoza - Yayoi Kunizuka - Shusei Kagari - Mitsuru Sasayama - Sakuya Togane - Sho Hinakawa - Kaede Hasuike - Teppei Sugo - Kenta Yatsuka - Ryoichi Naito - Ryunosuke Hirako|
|Risa Aoyanagi - Mizue Shisui - Masawa Shimomura|
|Ryogo Kozuki - Akira Yamatoya|
|Moe Suzuki - Shuichiro Domoto - Yoshitoshi Waku|
|Kaname Shinjo - Tetsuya Hyodo - Tsubaki Aikawa - Takayuki Haga - Koichi Hatano - Mai Momota - Ayaka Takami - Naoto Kurata - Hina Amari - Tsubasa Torii|
|Shion Karanomori - Joji Saiga - Maru|