|“||I'm not fit to be called a detective. You really are my son. Your eyes... look just the same as mine... when I was young.||”|
—Masaoka's final words to his son
|Romaji Name||Masaoka Tomomi|
|Kanji Name||征陸 智己|
|Date of Birth||June 27, 2058|
|Affiliation||Public Safety Bureau (former)|
|Occupation||Enforcer (former) |
|Relatives||Nobuchika Ginoza (son) |
Akiho Ginoza (mother-in-law)
|Anime Debut||Ep 01 - Crime Coefficient S1|
|English Voice Actor||Jason Douglas|
Tomomi Masaoka was an Enforcer in the MWPSB's Unit One. He served as a quasi-father figure for the other members of the team and helped them when they were having problems.
Masaoka had short spiky brown hair, brown eyes and a stocky build. He wore a black suit like all the other Enforcers, but was often seen with a tan trenchcoat over it when he went into the field. Masaoka also had a prosthetic left arm.
Masaoka was rather laid back in his approach to work and often accepts things as the way they are. Even in stressful situations, he tried to use reason above action and keep a cool head. He also relied on the Dominator's rating of a suspect before making decisions about victims and criminals. It was revealed that prior to becoming an Enforcer, he used to share Akane's views on how a detective should approach police work. He didn't consider himself to be wise, but did like to give advice to the team members, including Ginoza.
Masaoka was born in Tachikawa, Tokyo.
He later married Akiho Ginoza's daughter, and at the age of twenty-six became father of Nobuchika Ginoza
Prior to being an Enforcer, Masaoka was a detective of the Public Safety Bureau. When the Sibyl System was introduced, he disagreed with its use, as it forced detectives to rely on the absolute judgment of a machine without human consideration or insight. Over the time, he became more and more frustrated and angry, causing his psycho-pass to deteriorate which became the basis for his demotion to Enforcer.
Emergency Contact Information
Tokyo, Adachi-ku, Senju, Asahi 6-23c
Akiho Ginoza (relation: guardian)
March 2073 - Graduated from Tachigawa Secondary School, Tokyo
April 2073 - Entered Komai High School
March 2076- Graduated from Komai High School
April 2076 - Entered Hitotsubashi University, Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
March 2080 - Graduated from Hitotsubashi University, Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
April 2080 - Stationed at Metropolitan Police Department
November 2080 - Assigned to Detective Department
April 2091 - Transferred to MWPSB after the Police System was cancelled
March 2093 - Decommissioned due to deteriorating Psycho-Pass; Entered Rehabilitation Center in Adachi district
August 2093 - Left Rehabilitation Center
September 2093 - Reassigned to MWPBS, Unit 3 as an Enforcer
May 2106 - Transferred to Unit 1
April 2076 - Driving License for Regular Motorcar Type I; Driving License for Large-sized Motorcycle Type I
|“||Center on this pair of real father and son, Unit 1 form a family-like atmosphere||”|
His son and Masaoka shared a distorted leader-member, even also a father-son, relationship. However, they had a deep love for each other. And they did have happy times when Ginoza wasn't hurt by the insults as a "Latent criminal's son."
Ginoza determined to be an Inspector when in high school, because of his subconscious willing to meet up with his father again. When Masaoka went to Unit 1, his son avoided being too intimate with his father, and became often jealous about the father's attention to Kogami.
Masaoka always cared about his son, and inadvertently call him "Nobuchika" when talking to other detectives. He also gave advice to Ginoza as his request. For example when Ginoza wanted to understand Akane. In the end, he even sacrificed his life to save his son. He also worried about his son as Ginoza tends to attempt things beyond his own power.
After Masaoka's death, Ginoza tried to make his appearance alike with him, and play the role of "the elder" in Unit 1.
Masaoka liked the modest young girl and acted like a mentor to her. When Akane had some problems, she usually went to consult the father-like Masaoka.
Kogami was the best friend of Masaoka's son, Ginoza. When Kogami was an inspector of Unit 3, Masaoka was his subordinate. Because of that he had spent a longer time working with Kogami than Ginoza. The two also shared the common interest of martial arts. Masaoka even thought of Kogami as one of his own sons because of what Kogami had done for Ginoza over the years and actively voiced his concerns regarding the dangerous path the Enforcer was following.
When Kogami decided to leave the CID, he immediately went to find Masaoka. Masaoka gave him the key of his safe house, containing the equipments in it.
- His martial art of choice was Judo.
- He shared the emergency contact with his son.
- While his strength was endurance, his weakness were women's tears.
- One of Masaoka's hobbies was painting; other is drinking with friends. His masterpiece painting is a painting of his wife holding their newborn son.
- Masaoka's wish was to have a grandchild.
- His mottos was "Do good deeds without expecting things in return."
- His favorite saying is "The warrior must keep his pride even if he dies of hunger."
- His favorite thing in his room is his 50 year-old Yamazaki.
- Masaoka's favorite food is chocolate, his least favorite Mozuku seaweed vinegar. Alcohol is his favorite drink.
- He drunk more alcohol after work than during holidays.
- After work he drunk three mugs of beer, highball or three to four glasses of shochu and soda water or Whisky Rock depending on his mood. If he could still take more, he would keep on downing Japanese sake.
- He spent his holidays slowlytaking his favorite Straight Whisky until the whole bottle runs out and then stops.
- He slept around four to five hours per day.
- His favorite authors were Arimasa Osawa, Hideo Yokoyama, Haruhiko Ooyabu, Joh Sasaki, Ranpo Edogawa, Seishi Yokomizo, Don Winslow, Ed McBain and Agatha Christie.
- His favorite book was Arimasa Osawa's Shinjuku Same. He had read it as a kid and the book had gotten him fascinated with the police career.
- He was designated as Hound 1.
- His crime coefficient was 126.