|“||Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any replacement. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that. But for some reason... the thought that someone other than you might kill me never occurred to me. Say, what do you think Kogami? After this, will you be able to find a replacement for me?||”|
|Romaji Name||Makishima Shōgo|
|Kanji Name||槙島 聖護|
|Date of Birth||Unknown|
|Occupation||Criminal (former) |
|Anime Debut||Ep 01 - Crime Coefficient S1|
|English Voice Actor||Alex Organ|
Shogo Makishima was a criminally asymptomatic individual with the primary goal to liberate society from the Sibyl System, as he states that it's turning the human race into mere "sheep."
Makishima was a young man with long white hair and amber eyes. He had a variety of outfits, ranging from a yellow and black jacket with gray trousers to a green pullover with a white shirt underneath. Despite of the fact that he was someone with a very cold heart, his expressions almost always depicted his true feelings. And despite his somewhat frail appearance, he was able to take out Kogami during their first fight, who was much more muscular in build, with just a few blows.
Makishima was a humanist on the dark side: someone hopelessly in love with cruelty, savagery and all the worst aspects of human nature with no qualms about witnessing or causing others' suffering. He had the ability to manipulate people to do his bidding, possessing both uncommon charisma and a true gift for narrative. However, his cruetly matched his charisma and he had no compunction about dealing death to those who either stand in his way or those of whom he's grown tired, either with his own hands or through subordinates. He enjoyed reading dystopian literature and Shakespeare, as well as having a thorough knowledge of the Christian Bible. He was often seen reading and even quoting texts from these works on occasion. The thing that truly separated Makishima from the rest of humanity, however, was the fact that despite his diabolical intentions and actions, his psycho-pass remained unsullied.Makishima personally stated that he wanted to see "the splendor of people's souls" and outwardly disdained humanity's way of living, considering humans worthless due to their dependence on the Sibyl System. He aimed to alert people of their false ways and to force them to examine their motives and to determine the direction of their lives based on their own will. This adamant belief extended to the point where he was willing to die by the hands of someone "who has the will to kill."
According to Kogami, Makishima likely suffered hardships in the early stages of his life because of the fact that his hue and psycho-pass had always been nothing else than pure. Kogami also claimed that being "unrecognized" by Sibyl left Makishima feeling like a non-entity, which probably started him down the path of criminality in his single-minded goal of taking down the Sibyl System.
At some time in his life Makishima discovered that he could control his psycho-pass at will, while no one else can. It may be speculated that the alienation resulting from his feeling "different" than others and, in a way, rejected as a regular human being by Sibyl, who was unable to recognize him, tormented him to the point that he losed his mind and compelled him to destroy the Sybil System.
In 2102, Makishima met Toyohisa Senguji.
In 2109, Makishima met a teacher named Toma who, like Makishima, was able to control his psycho-pass. It was hinted that Makishima abeted Toma in the killings that he committed, thus making him just as responsible for those deaths as Toma was.
Shinya Kogami Kogami's talent to be able to to deduce that the killings done were not by Toma fascinated Makishima, and as Senguji once put it, it made Makishima happy simply mentioning his name. He and Kogami understood each other better than anyone else, and both were solely focused on the other. Makishima had admitted that he was displeased with Kogami's attachment to the System, and was willing to kill him as a result, but Kogami managed to kill him first.
- Even though it was believed that Makishima was born on the 14th of October, 2085 (making him 27 years old), his birthdate remained unknown.
- Makishima and Kogami were exactly the same height.
- Makishima was a light sleeper and sleeps, on average, three hours per day.
- Very much like Kogami, Makishima's fighting style was Pencak Silat.
- His favorite food was tomatoes, his least favorite was meat and eggs.
- His hobby was reading.
- His adept sports were all track and field sports, swimming and martial arts.
- Makishima's motto was "To live is not merely to breathe; it is to act" which is a quote by Rousseau. (The full quote: "To live is not merely to breathe; it is to act; it is to make use of our organs, senses, faculties - of all those parts of ourselves which give us the feeling of existence.")
- His favorite saying or rather quote was "Throw away your books and rally in the streets."
- Makishima's favorite thing in his room was his favorite razor.
- His strength was the art of conversation that can fascinated people and his weakness simple work.
- His favorite authors were Friedrich Nietzsche, Foucault, William Shakespeare, George Orwell, Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jonathan Swift, Philip K. Dick, Marquis de Sade, Kenzaburou Oe, Junichirou Tanizaki, Shuuji Terayama and much more.
- His favorite book were George Orwell's 1984 and Foucault's Naissance de la Prison ("Discipline and Punish") because they had helped him sort out what aspects of Sibyl System dissatisfy him.
- The first novel Makishima had ever read was Sherlock Holmes.
- He read one book per day when there wasn't a movement of associated crimes.
- Makishima also owned mangas by Osamu Tetsuka and Fujio Fujiko, especially Fujiko's.
- He had the lowest psycho-pass of all appearing characters and the cleanest hue due to fact that he was criminally asymptomatic.
- Under the alias Yukimori Shibata, Makishima was an art teacher at Oso Academy.
- Mitsuru Sasayama was the only person who managed to track him down before he got killed. The blurry photo of Makishima, which had been left in his Dominator's terminal, was the only evidence that pointed to Makishima as the murder suspect.