|“||I’m sorry. I couldn’t keep my promise. I wanted to go into a line of work where I could protect people.That’s why I became a detective. But Makishima changed everything. That man will continue to kill people. And yet, the law can’t judge him. As long as I’m a detective, I can’t touch him. This case made me aware... that the law can’t protect people.||”|
|Romaji Name||Kōgami Shinya|
|Kanji Name||狡噛 慎也|
|Date of Birth||August 16, 2084|
|Affiliation||Public Safety Bureau (former)|
|Relatives||Tomoyo Kogami (mother)|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Ep 01 - Crime Coefficient S1|
|English Voice Actor||Robert McCollum|
Shinya Kogami is a former Enforcer and Inspector at the Public Safety Bureau's Unit One.
Kogami has blue eyes, short tousled black hair and pale skin. He has a tall and muscular build. He usually wears a black suit and tie - as an Enforcer and an Inspector. When in the field, Kogami wears a gray coat over his suit.
Kogami is a highly skilled detective, his ability to solve cases quickly making him a valuable asset to Unit One, to which he was assigned. There, he is subordinate to his childhood best friend, Nobuchika Ginoza, as an Enforcer on Inspector Ginoza's team until his leaving in 2113.
When working, Kogami keeps a level head and doesn't let emotions cloud his judgment, no matter what situation he's in. The way he deals with investigations leaves even the best Enforcers impressed and appalled, as he usually uses risky methods to solve them. However, despite his mostly serious personality, Kogami has a sense of humor and finds it amusing to tease rookie Inspector, Akane Tsunemori, especially about how she once shot him with a Dominator.
While Kogami was still an Inspector, he developed a strong bond with his Enforcers, one of whom was Mitsuru Sasayama. When Sasayama died a horrible death while on the job, Kogami's emotional attachment and resulting feelings caused his crime coefficient to rise, leading to his demotion to Enforcer rank.
Kogami is also shown to have some wild tendencies that may have been encouraged by Sasayama. An example of this is seen in his deliberate provocation of Yuji Kanehara.
As time progresses, Kogami begins to suspect the weaknesses of the Sibyl System. When Sibyl refuses to help him get revenge for Sasayama's death, he turns against the MWPSB and goes into hiding to find Shogo Makishima himself.
Kogami was born in Kanagawa to Tomoyo Kogami and her unnamed husband. During high school he met Nobuchika Ginoza and they became close friends after Kogami saved Ginoza from bullies. When Ginoza tells Kogami his future plans of becoming an Inspector, Kogami follows suit.
While in high school, Kogami majored in social sciences and took up kickboxing and wrestling as hobbies, rarities as such since students only studied these arts as a means of stress reduction. He graduates at the top of his class and scores 721 points on the same entry exam Akane takes. His score is the highest ever achieved in the country.Three years before Akane enters Unit One, Kogami is an MWPSB Inspector, given the task of watching over his own Enforcers, one of which was a young man named Sasayama. Though warned to stay detached, Kogami and Sasayama become friends. They are given a case, which they nickname The Specimen Case, because the victims' bodies are dismembered, then encased by plastination and displayed in public, much like an insect specimen in amber. Sasayama is on the verge of finding the murderer when he, himself, is brutally dismembered and displayed in the same manner as the other victims.
Kogami is the first one to find Sasayama's dismembered and deformed body. The horror causes a sharp rise in Kogami's crime coefficent. Refusing to take treatment, he is demoted to Enforcer and, ever since, is consumed with finding Sasayama's murderer.
Tokyo Prefecture, Chiyoda Ward, 2nd Street 1-8
Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau Building, Criminal Investigation Department First Division
Emergency Contact InformationEdit
Kanagawa Prefecture, Sagamihara City, Midori Ward, 5-21-B
Tomoyo Kogami (relation: mother)
March 2100 - Graduated from Kanagawa Prefecture Kanagawa Higashi Middle School, General Education
April 2100 - Entered Nittou School of Social Sciences, Social Psychology Department
March 2104 - Graduated from Nittou School of Social Sciences, Social Psychology Department
April 2104 - Entered Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau; entered Public Safety Bureau Career Training Institute
September - Left same institute
October - Assigned to Criminal Investigation Department First Division as an Inspector
February 2110 - Left due to Psycho Pass deterioration
April 2110 - Assigned to Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau Criminal Investigation Department First Division as an Enforcer
Licenses / QualificationsEdit
August 2100 - Received regular vehicle driver’s license (i.e. cars)
June 2102 - Received archaic language level 1 certification
August - Received large two-wheeled vehicle driver’s license (i.e. motorcycles)
October 2103 - Speed reading level 1 certification
March 2104 - Received higher education-level social science teaching license
July - Received large special vehicle driver’s license (i.e. construction vehicles)
- Kogami smokes about thirty cigarettes a day.
- On average, Kogami sleeps only four hours per day, taking catnaps during the day to refresh himself.
- He is designated as Hound 3 as an Enforcer and Shepherd 2 as an Inspector.
- Kogami has a crime coefficent of 265.8.
- His fighting style is Silat, introduced to him by Sasayama.
- His favorite food is hamburgers and his least favorite is synthetic fish.
- His hobbies are training, reading and sometimes playing games with Shusei Kagari.
- His motto is, "Be gentle to others but be strict to oneself."
- Kogami's favorite saying is "Believe in your own power. Don't always rely on others".
- His favorite authors include Stephen King, James Ellroy, Ernest Hemingway, Mangetsu Hanamura, Seishi Yokomizo and Juko Nishimura.
- His favorite books are The Long Walk by Stephen King and Battle Runner because, after becoming an Enforcer, he relates to the respective protagonists.
- While being depicted as someone who rarely shows emotions, Kogami's smile during the conversation with his former teacher Saiga is shown to be sincere.
- The suits he wears as an Inspector are tailored to accommodate his body build.
- Kogami keeps a self-crafted human-shaped punching bag in his room.
- In the novel, when Kogami and Akane go together to inquire about Rikako's work, the tattooed man tells them that he's into beastiality and asks Kogami to sleep with him. Kogami replies, "Next time" and leaves without a change of expression while Akane is frozen in shock.
- The key placed in front of Masaoka's grave is the one he had passed to Kogami, and is likely to have been placed there by Kogami himself.
- Before his long-term leave of absence, Kogami calls Akane with a non-trackable device. He says that whether dead or alive, it will be his last time contacting her. Akane replies with a smile, saying she believes they will meet again as normal humans instead of Inspector and Enforcer.
- Kogami bears a resemblance to Kyoya Hibari and Takeshi Yamamoto from the manga/anime Katekyo Hitman REBORN!, which is notable since they share the same character designer.