|“||Hey, it's been a while... I came to talk to you today... since I decided what I'm going to do next. My crime coefficient went up to 140. There's no longer a chance for recovery. But it's not in my nature to sit around and mope in the isolation facility. So I decided to go back to where I used to work. You told me to take a different path. Guess I didn't live up to your expectations. I'm a bad son in every respect aren't I? But strangely enough, I have no regrets. There's nothing good about being a detective. Even so, it's a job that someone needs to do. Right... dad?||”|
|Romaji Name||Ginoza Nobuchika|
|Kanji Name||宜野座 伸元|
|Date of Birth||November 21, 2084|
|Affiliation||Public Safety Bureau|
|Relatives||Tomomi Masaoka (father, deceased) |
Akiho Ginoza (grandmother)
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Ep 01 - Crime Coefficient S1|
|English Voice Actor||Josh Grelle|
Nobuchika Ginoza is an Enforcer working in the MWPSB's Unit One. He was demoted from the rank of Inspector to Enforcer after his psycho-pass rose to an unacceptable level after witnessing the violent death of his father.
Ginoza has chin length black hair and green eyes. He allows his hair to partially cover his face and in Season 1, wears eyeglasses despite the fact that he has perfect vision. He does so because he believes that wearing them will help to preserve his Psycho-pass. However, during their final exchange before Masaoka dies, the older man tells his son that his eyes look exactly like his own when he was young. After that and a two-month stint in a rehabilitation center, Ginoza stops wearing them saying that he longer wishes to hide the resemblance between himself and Masaoka. This development appears to parallel Ginoza coming to terms with other similarities between Masaoka and himself, after Masaoka's self-sacrifice to save his son's life.
Ginoza is typically seen wearing dark formal attire. In the field he wears a standard dark suit and tie with a black high-collared pea-coat. After losing his left arm he begins to wear a prosthetic as a replacement, seemingly similar to the one that his father had. In Season Two, after becoming an Enforcer, he trims his hair and begins wearing a brown trenchcoat similiar to the one Masaoka used to wear.
As an Inspector, Ginoza is very strict when it comes to his job and disallows himself to have emotional bonds with his Enforcers because he believes it will cloud his Psycho-pass. Ginoza's resulting bitterness over Masaoka's latent criminal designation and demotion from Inspector to Enforcer when he was younger, contributes to his view that Enforcers are less than human, treating them as "dogs" and even calling them so. When Tsunemori joins his team, he warns her against becoming friendly with the Enforcers, though she does so anyway, particularly with Kogami.
Ginoza appears to be somewhat adversarial towards Kogami and Masaoka because he views their demotions to Enforcers as personal betrayals, leaving him with feelings of abandonment. Despite his loathing of Masaoka as an Enforcer, Ginoza still subconsciously craves his approval as a father; Masaoka's faith in Kogami causing Ginoza to develop feelings of jealousy and inferiority. These emotions, combined with the pressure of the job and the burden of keeping his Psycho-pass clear, cause Ginoza to become wracked with deep anxiety which leads to emotional exhaustion, a clouding of his Hue and rise in his Crime Coefficient to 140.
Ironically, Ginoza fears that Tsunemori will go down the same path as the Enforcers, though it is he himself who stumbles in his job performance and goes the very route he fears for Tsunemori, thus repeating the sins of his father and his friend, Kogami.
When his Hue begins to grow cloudy, he ignores advice to get treatment and focuses only on the job. The violent and untimely death of his father, Masaoka, creates an emotional upheaval in Ginoza's psyche, resulting in his being designated a latent criminal. Ginoza enters treatment, but leaves after only two months, returning to the MWPSB as an Enforcer working under the very trainee he used to supervise, Akane Tsunemori.
Following his demotion and return, Ginoza is shown to a bit more laid back, shown to smile a bit more and to not be offended by personal questions, especially regarding his father. He is also shown to have a favorable opinion of Tsunemori and her detective skills.
Ginoza was born in Tokyo to Tomomi Masaoka and his unnamed wife.
He is nine years old when his father is admitted to a rehab centre due to a deteriorating Psycho-pass. This fact contributes to his hatred of latent criminals, as well as causing him to throw himself into his studies in the subconsious hope to be able to see his father again.
During high school Kogami once saved Ginoza from being bullied because of his father's latent criminal status, thus starting their friendship. They soon become best friends and when Ginoza tells Kogami his future plan of becoming an Inspector, Kogami quickly decides to do the same.
Tokyo, Shin Chiyoda-ku, Hitotsubashi 4-76-D (as an Inspector)
Emergency Contact InformationEdit
Tokyo, Adachi-ku, Senju, Asahi 6-23c
Akiho Ginoza (relation: grandmother)
March 2100 - Graduates from 2nd Higashi Tokyo Secondary School
February 2100 - Enters Nittou Academy (Higher Education), Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
March 2104 - Graduates from Entered Nittou Academy (Higher Education), Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
April 2104 - Enters MWPSB; Entered Public Safety Bureau's Career Instruction Center
September 2104 - Finishes from Public Safety Bureau's Career Instruction Center
October 2104 - Assigns to MWPSB, Unit 1 as an Inspector
September 2093 - Garden Designer Level I
June 2103 - National Legal Professional Level I
August 2102 - Driving License for Regular Motorcar Type I
May 2106 - Dog Therapist License
In the beginning Tsunemori is a new Inspector assigned to Unit One and Ginoza her supervisor who is shown to be critical of her style of detective work and her instincts, scolding her in public and in front of the Enforcers. In fact, he actually is concerned for her Psycho-pass, having seen similar things happen to his father Masaoka and to his friend Kogami.
His own demotion, Tsunemori's professionalism and other aspects lead to a change in his attitude from critical to respectful of her abilities as a detective and individual ethics which include continuing to befriend her Enforcers as human beings (himself included).
Accepting his rank as an Enforcer, Ginoza defends Tsunemori's style of detective work and admires her instincts in contraction to his initial opinion and interactions as an Inspector.
As Shimotsuki despises people with high Crime Coefficient, she dislikes Ginoza. She also resents his nagging and the fact that Tsunemori trusts him for a number of reasons, but mainly because she trusts his instincts as a previous Inspector. Ginoza is aware of Shimotsuki's dislike of him but continues to give advice in order for Tsunemori's team to operate smoothly.
- Ginoza's ID as an Enforcer is 00475-AEAJ-39785-2.
- Ginoza's ID as an Inspector was 00475-AEAJ-39875-1.
- Ginoza doesn't have any favorite authors because he mostly reads books about law and politics and rarely reads any fiction except for Leo Tolstoy and Ivan Turgenev.
- His favorite book is Ivan Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. He was first interested in its title and once he had started, he couldn’t stop reading.
- His favorite saying is,"The fool learns from experience while the wise learn from history."
- Ginoza is said to be a "1000% virgin" having never dated in over twenty years, dedicating his time to studying to become an Inspector so that he could meet his father again.
- His hobbies include looking after dogs and collecting coins. He got the latter from his grandfather.
- In the seventh radio drama "Keijika no Inutachi, 24ji" ("Dog of CID, 24 hours a day"), Dime was used to participate in Tokyo Dog Show 2112, which was undercovered by Ginoza and Kogami. He also helped the men to capture the culprit.
- Ginoza's wish in Season 1 is to be muscular which his workouts as a new Enforcer in Season 2 help him to realize.
- Ginoza is a dog lover and he owns a Siberian husky named Dime.
- Ginoza also had another dog named Ron, who died.
- The sports Ginoza is good at are tennis, skiing, shooting and kendo.
- His favorite food is bread; his least favorite is mulukhiyah.
- He sleeps for six hours per day.
- Ginoza's strength is "Responsibility toward his obligation", while his weakness is low self-esteem.
- Ginoza took his last name from his mother.
- In the ninth radio drama - "Mafuyu no Kaidan, 24ji" ("Midwinter Ghost Story, 24 hours a day") - it appears that Ginoza has a fear of ghosts.
- Ginoza also has attributes that qualify him to become a dog therapist or a garden coordinator.
- His love for gardening comes from his grandmother.
- His CommuField avatar is named "N.G."
- Sasayama once bullied him by telling him a lie about Valentine's Day and called him "Ginoza-sensei," without the latter person knowing that it was meant to insult him.
- Gen Urobuchi seems to like bullying Ginoza the most.
- Ginoza slightly resembles Koyo Aoba of the Simon Famiglia, a character from Akira Amano's other work, Katekyo Hitman REBORN!