|“||Hey, it's been a while... I came to talk to you today... since I decided what I'm going to do next. My crime coefficient went up to 140. There's no longer a chance for recovery. But it's not in my nature to sit around and mope in the isolation facility. So I decided to go back to where I used to work. You told me to take a different path. Guess I didn't live up to your expectations. I'm a bad son in every respect aren't I? But strangely enough, I have no regrets. There's nothing good about being a detective. Even so, it's a job that someone needs to do. Right... dad?||”|
|Romaji Name||Ginoza Nobuchika|
|Kanji Name||宜野座 伸元|
|Date of Birth||November 21, 2084|
|Affiliation||Public Safety Bureau|
|Relatives||Tomomi Masaoka (father, deceased) |
Akiho Ginoza (grandmother)
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Ep 01 - Crime Coefficient S1|
|English Voice Actor||Josh Grelle|
Nobuchika Ginoza is Enforcer working at the MWPSB's Unit One. He was demoted from the rank of Inspector to Enforcer after his psycho-pass rose to an unacceptable level after witnessing the violent death of his father.
Ginoza has chin length black hair and green eyes. He allows his hair to partially cover his face and he also wears eyeglasses despite the fact that he has perfect vision, because he believes that wearing them will help to preserve his psycho-pass.
However, after Masaoka tells him that his eyes look exactly like his own when he was young right before his death, Ginoza stopps wearing them, revealing that he only did so because he disliked how his face looks like and that he no longer wishes to hide the fact that his eyes resemble that of his deceased father. This development appears to parallel Ginoza coming to terms with the similarities between Masaoka and himself, physical or otherwise, after Masaoka's self-sacrifice to save his son's life.
Ginoza is typically seen wearing dark formal attire. In the field he wears a standard dark suit and tie with a black high-collared pea-coat. After losing his left arm he begins to wear a prosthetic as a replacement, seemingly similar to the one that his father had.
Also after becoming an Enforcer he cut his hair and started wearing a brown coat similiar to Masaoka's coat.
As an Inspector, Ginoza is very strict when it comes to his job and disallows himself to have emotional bonds with his Enforcers because he believes it will cloud his psycho-pass, due to the fact that his father is Masaoka, a latent criminal and an Enforcer on Unit One. Ginoza's resulting bitterness contributes to his view that Enforcers are less than human, treating them as "dogs" and even calling them so. When Akane joins his team, he warns her against becoming friendly with the Enforcers, though she does so anyway, particularly with Kogami.
Ginoza appears to be somewhat adversarial towards Kogami and Masaoka because he views their demotions to Enforcers as personal betrayals, leaving him with feelings of abandonment. Despite his loathing of Masaoka as an Enforcer, Ginoza still subconsciously craves his approval as a father. As a result, the amount of faith Masaoka places in Kogami causes Ginoza to develop feelings of jealousy and inferiority. These emotions, combined with the pressure of the job and the burden of keeping his psycho-pass clear, cause Ginoza to become wracked with deep anxiety and insecurities, which contribute to his exhaustion and cause him to fall apart and even becoming an Enforcer himself.
Ironically, Ginoza fears that Akane will go down the same path as the Enforcers, though it is he himself who stumbles in his job performance and goes the very route he fears for Akane, thus repeating the sins of his father and his friend, Kogami.
When his psycho-pass begins to grow cloudy, he ignores the advice to get treatment and focuses only on his work. The violent and untimely death of his father, Masaoka, creates an emotional upheaval in Ginoza's psyche, causing his crime coefficient to increase to 140, resulting his demoting to the very thing he despises the most, a latent criminal. However, Ginoza leaves treatment after only two months and returns to the MWPSB as an Enforcer working under the very trainee he used to supervise, Akane Tsunemori.
Following his demotion and return, Ginoza is shown to a bit more laid back, shown to smile a bit more and to not be offended by personal questions, especially regarding his father.
Ginoza was born in Tokyo to Tomomi Masaoka and his unnamed wife.
He was nine years old when his father was admitted to rehab centre due to deteriorating psycho-pass. This fact contributed to his hatred of latent criminals, as well as causing him to throw himself into his studies in the subconsious hope to be able to see his father again.
During high school Kogami once saved Ginoza from being bullied due to the fact that his father's a latent criminal, thus starting their friendship. They soon became best friends and when Ginoza told Kogami his future plans on becoming an Inspector, Kogami quickly decided to also become an Inspector.
Tokyo, Shin Chiyoda-ku, Hitotsubashi 4-76-D (as an Inspector)
Emergency Contact InformationEdit
Tokyo, Adachi-ku, Senju, Asahi 6-23c
Akiho Ginoza (relation: grandmother)
March 2100 - Graduated from 2nd Higashi Tokyo Secondary School
February 2100 - Entered Nittou Academy (Higher Education), Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
March 2104 - Graduated from Entered Nittou Academy (Higher Education), Faculty of Law, Major in Legal Studies
April 2104 - Entered MWPSB; Entered Public Safety Bureau's Career Instruction Center
September 2104 - Finished from Public Safety Bureau's Career Instruction Center
October 2104 - Assigned to MWPSB, Unit 1 as an Inspector
September 2093 - Garden Designer Level I
June 2103 - National Legal Professional Level I
August 2102 - Driving License for Regular Motorcar Type I
May 2106 - Dog Therapist License
At the beginning Akane is a new Inspector assigned to Unit One and Ginoza her supervisor who is shown to be critical of her style of detective work and her instincts, scolding her in public and in front of the Enforcers. In fact, he actually cares about her and is only so strict to her because he fears that her actions could lead into her demotion - something which also happened to his father and to his friend, Kogami.
His own demotion and various other aspects lead into developing a respectful and professinal relationship with Akane, accepting her methods and ultimately being gratitude to her due to the fact that she keeps thinking of him as a person after his fall from grace.
Accepting his rank as an Enforcer, Ginoza defends Akane's style of detective work and admires her instincts in contraction to his initial opinion and interactions as an Inspector.
- Ginoza's ID as an Enforcer is 00475-AEAJ-39785-2.
- Ginoza's ID as an Inspector was 00475-AEAJ-39875-1.
- Ginoza doesn't have any favorite authors because he mostly reads books about law and politics and rarely reads any fiction except for Leo Tolstoy and Ivan Turgenev.
- His favorite book is Ivan Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. He was first interested in its title and once he had started, he couldn’t stop reading.
- His favorite saying is "The fools learn from experience while the wise learn from history". Or it was during his time as an Inspector.
- Ginoza is said to be a "1000% virgin" and never dated for twenty years, dedicating his time in studying to become an Inspector so that he can meet his father again.
- His hobbies include looking after dogs and collecting coins. He got the latter from his grandfather.
- Ginoza is a dog lover, and he owns a Siberian husky named Dime.
- In the seventh radio drama "Keijika no Inutachi, 24ji" ("Dog of CID, 24 hours a day"), Dime was used to participate in Tokyo Dog Show 2112, which was undercovered by Ginoza and Kogami. He also helped the men to capture the culprit.
- Ginoza also had another dog named Ron, who's already deceased.
- The sports Ginoza is good at are tennis, skiing, shooting and kendo.
- His favorite food is bread, his least favorite is mulukhiyah.
- He sleeps for six hours per day.
- Ginoza's strength is "Responsibility toward his obligation", while his weakness is glasses.
- Ginoza got his last name from his mother.
- In the ninth radio drama - "Mafuyu no Kaidan, 24ji" ("Midwinter Ghost Story, 24 hours a day") - it appears that Ginoza has a fear of ghosts.
- Ginoza also has attributes that qualify him to become a dog therapist or a garden coordinator.
- His love for gardening came from his grandmother.
- Sasayama once bullied him by telling him a lie about Valentine's Day and called him "Ginoza-sensei", without the latter person knowing that it was meant to insult him.
- Gen Urobuchi seems to like bullying Ginoza the most.
- Ginoza slightly resembles Koyo Aoba of the Simon Famiglia, a character from Akira Amano's other work, Katekyo Hitman REBORN!.